RE: FW: Pointer target size

Seems like a clever approach although there could be things to consider such as target within other targets, etc.  I assume we are also comparing right edge to right edge, etc. left edge to left edge as opposed to right edge to left, etc. – so it might be helpful to clarify what edges we are talking about.

Jonathan

From: jake abma <jake.abma@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, November 2, 2020 3:31 AM
To: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Cc: Mobile a11y tf (public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org) <public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org>; AGWG Chairs <group-ag-chairs@w3.org>
Subject: Re: FW: Pointer target size

"from each target’s edge to the to the furthest edge of any other target is at least 24 CSS"

First thought: It does not prevent / provide enough space between both.

Example: a 10x10px target sitting next to a 10x40px target sitting next to a 10x10px target
The 10x10px target may be missed while trying to activate as there's NOT the 24 px space apart as the 10x40px absorbs this.

Second thought: The 10x40px ALSO HAS THE RULE, (making the 10x10 fail) so it seems fine!

Thx Alastair!

Op zo 1 nov. 2020 om 23:23 schreef Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com<mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com>>:
Sukriti wrote:
> The second one misses distance from where on the target.
Ok, so perhaps:
“The distance from each target’s edge to the to the furthest edge of any other target is at least 24 CSS pixels, except when:”
That might give the impression of lots of calculations, but (I think) has the same effect as you’d only look at anything within 24px.

Cheers,

-Alastair

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020, 1:42 PM Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com<mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com>> wrote:
> any feedback on?: "For each edge of a target,  the distance to the  closest edge of the nearest target on the opposite side is at least 24 CSS pixels, except when:":

I think I see what you mean, but the “opposite side” aspect is confusing me quite a lot when combined with “closest edge”.

Does it mean the same as this?
“For each target, the distance to the furthest side of each adjacent target is at least 24 CSS pixels, except when:”

-Alastair