Re: Proposed new Customizationof shortcut SCs to reduce risk of accidental voice activation

Here's the wiki page where we've started work on speech-related SC's
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Speech_Input_Accessibility_(Guideline_2.7)

My hesitation with encouraging developers to simply allow users to turn
off single key shortcuts is it leaves some users behind. If the single
key shortcut is the only way to do something it's cutting a group of
users off from functionality.

Cheers,
Kim

On 7/21/2016 1:57 PM, David MacDonald wrote:
> [...]
>
>     My hesitation with encouraging developers to simply allow users to
>     turn off single key shortcuts is it leaves some users behind. If
>     the single key shortcut is the only way to do something it's
>     cutting a group of users off from functionality.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Kim
>

>     On 7/21/2016 12:36 PM, David MacDonald wrote:
>>     Today Kim described the situation of end users who depend on speech.
>>
>>     Custom keyboard shortcuts in a web application or web page can
>>     collide with voice use. if the user is not in a dedicated text
>>     field and the the shortcut is say, "M" Then simply saying "Mary"
>>     will cause that shortcut to activate. If there are 4 of 5
>>     shortcut, sometimes the results can be very bad if these
>>     shortcuts do significant things and more than one get triggered.
>>     Users may feel they have a virus etc... that is causing all of
>>     this interference on the web page.
>>
>>     Kim asked that all shortcuts to be customizable and allow up to
>>     20 characters and also the ability to assign more than one
>>     shortcut for different users of the same account.
>>
>>     Patrick expressed concern that that is a pretty high bar for
>>     developers, and may get resistance.
>>
>>     I've thought of two SCs based on Kim's presentation that perhaps
>>     we "could" require.
>>
>>     *SC x.x.x **Customized shortcut keys:* Each customizable keyboard
>>     shortcut on the web page allows for a string of up to 20
>>     characters to be assigned to the shortcut.
>>     *SC x.x.y Turn of shortcuts:* If shortcut keys are used on the
>>     web page, a mechanism is available to turn them off.
>>
>>     Perhaps they could be combined into one. For developers who
>>     didn't create customization of their shortcuts, there is a way to
>>     turn them off.
>>     For developers who did create customization, there is a way to
>>     assign a string rather than just a couple of keys to the shortcut.
>>
>>     *I put up a WIKI for them.*
>>     https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Customization_of_keyboard_shortcuts
>>     https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Turn_Off_keyboard_shortcuts
>>
>>     Thoughts?
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     David MacDonald
>>
>>     *Can**Adapt**Solutions Inc.*
>>
>>     Tel: 613.235.4902 <tel:613.235.4902>
>>
>>     LinkedIn
>>     <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmacdonald100>
>>
>>     twitter.com/davidmacd <http://twitter.com/davidmacd>
>>
>>     GitHub <https://github.com/DavidMacDonald>
>>
>>     www.Can-Adapt.com <http://www.can-adapt.com/>
>>
>>     /  Adapting the web to *all* users/
>>
>>     /Including those with disabilities/
>>
>>     If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy
>>     policy <http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>
>
>     --
>
>     Kimberly Patch
>     President
>     Redstart Systems
>     (617) 325-3966 <tel:%28617%29%20325-3966>

Kimberly Patch
President
Redstart Systems
(617) 325-3966