Re: Proposed new Customizationof shortcut SCs to reduce risk of accidental voice activation

Yes – customizing with modifier keys addresses the critical issue.

More detailed explanation:
A string of keys enables a speech user in a native way – after modifying
the shortcuts with a string of keys the user could simply say them.
Customizing a keystroke with modifier keys means either speaking
keyboard, which is more awkward, or adding another layer of macros to
fully enable speech in a native way.

So yes, simply being able to modify the keystroke addresses the key
problem. Being able to modify it with a string of keys is more elegant,
but not critical. So maybe customizing with a modifier is A and with a
string of keys is double or triple A.

Cheers,
Kim
On 7/21/2016 12:46 PM, Jonathan Avila wrote:

> Ø*SC x.x.x Customized shortcut keys:* Each customizable keyboard
> shortcut on the web page allows for a string of up to 20 characters to
> be assigned to the shortcut.
>
> I wonder how technically practical it is to watch for a string of
> characters for shortcut keystrokes.  Typically a keystroke is a
> keyDown/keyUp event or perhaps a keyPress with a key code and
> modifiers.  Checking for a string of characters to be pressed is a
> different technique.  Is a string really required over keystrokes that
> are not single characters.  If a site allows the user to customize a
> keystroke with modifier keys – would that be acceptable or what that
> fail this SC?__
>
> Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Avila
>
> Chief Accessibility Officer
> SSB BART Group
> jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com <mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
>
> 703.637.8957 (Office)
> Visit us online: Website <http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/> | Twitter
> <https://twitter.com/SSBBARTGroup> | Facebook
> <https://www.facebook.com/ssbbartgroup> | Linkedin
> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/355266?trk=tyah> | Blog
> <http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/>
>
> Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!
> <http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/webinars/>

Kimberly Patch
President
Redstart Systems