1100% may be physically impossible and still not achieve the results on smaller monitors

Laura, et al.

I’m concerned with the wording from the GitHub link for the latest proposal,

It starts out with the statement by allanj-uaaag
Current: Text can be resized without assistive technology up to 200 percent in a way that does not require the user to scroll horizontally to read a line of text on a full-screen window.

This is an inaccurate statement.
The current 1.4.4 allows for scrolling if necessary in the Examples for Success:
“A user uses a zoom function in his user agent to change the scale of the content. All the content scales uniformly, and the user agent provides scroll bars, if necessary.”

I also think it is physically impossible to increase to 1100% without horizontal scrolling.

Is their an actual font size that the 1100% value is trying to achieve?

1100% creates a totally different end resultant  font size  on a 10” tablet as it does on a 15” laptop or a 24” monitor. What the user gets with 1100% on a larger monitor would not be nearly what they get on a smaller monitor/screen size.

Should we state that it needs to be 1100% for 15” monitors but something like 1800” for 10” screens and 2200% for 6” smart phones.

Would we also need to make sure that touch target sizes for buttons and icons need to be scalable to some value at a similar percentage as well for low vision and users with dexterity and motor skill issues?

Alan Smith, CSTE, CQA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10