Re: Should we require all functionality to be operable with pointer?

On 04/07/2016 21:33, Jonathan Avila wrote:
> Ø  Anybody, know of any "real world" accessibility issues where
> something was not available to a mouse/pointer, because of some mistake
> by a developer that needs correcting for accessibility reasons in WCAG?
> I can't think of anything in my experience.
>

> I have seen assistive technologies such as features in screen readers
> only work with the keyboard and not work correctly with the mouse.
> Perhaps this is less likely on web pages – but I wonder if we need an
> exception for assistive technologies?  ATs may have special features
> that maybe it doesn’t make sense to make accessible with the mouse or
> perhaps not with the keyboard given the purpose of the AT.  The proposed
> Section 508 refresh has such an exception.

This is the distinction we're also talking about in the other thread
about keyboard - we need to separate the function of the CONTENT (web
content, app, etc) from that of the UA/AT/input mechanism, I think.
Otherwise we'll keep going in circles (see also gesture support etc).