Re: Should we require all functionality to be operable with pointer?

On 04/07/2016 18:27, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> Grin
>
> that would require that all content have an on-screen keyboard.
>
> the only way for an author to ensure that everything I operable with
> only a pointer — would be for them to include and on-screen keyboard on
> every page that has text input — unless we are going to declare that
> there is no platform anywhere that does not include an on-screen
> keyboard.      Might be true - don’t know.

Can this be handled through "a mechanism is available" language? On Mac,
Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Windows Phone/10 Mobile, etc there are
standard on-screen keyboards, meaning an author would not need to take
care of this themselves. In closed/specific environments like
point-of-sale/ATM scenarios, the authors would need to provide an
on-screen keyboard (or ensure that middleware that does handle this is
present/installed).