From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche@ogbuji.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:06 PM
To: public-microxml@w3.org
Subject: Re: Names beginning with "xml"

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM, David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com<mailto:David.Lee@marklogic.com>> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM, David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com<mailto:David.Lee@marklogic.com>> wrote:
if attributes xml:* is allowed but reserved.
What is the data model for the QName of say  xml:abc    (ignore for now "abc" is not yet defined ... I want to avoid pulling in the other specs).

Localname = "abc" ?
Localname = "xml:abc" ?

The latter, though I should mention that none of the 4 options, A, B, C or A-prime, would have the concept of a local name. It's just a name, so:

name := "xml:abc"

To get close to achieving the new goal of some reasonable attempt at a data model compatibility, we need to define the relationship between uXML Names and XML(+NS) QNames

-1

The simpliest in my mind is to ban colons and make  uXML Name == XML+NS  QName.Localname

No. The simplest is not to touch qnames or local names with a barge pole.

Why is it so important to complicate the spec to allow xml:  in attributes if we assign no semantics to it ?

Well we also allow "foo" elements and attributes but assign no semantics to them. Assigning semantics is for another layer.

As for complication, it's maximum one extra production.   That's a tiny price to pay to leave the door open for other XML Core vocab layers.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com