Re: xml:* attributes

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> Uche Ogbuji scripsit:
>
> > Why don't we start with Option A?  We could possibly reconsider the
> > other options in later iterations of the spec, whereas it would be
> > trickier to go the other way.  That said, I'm more at peace with the
> > idea of just banning all colons in all names than I was yesterday.  At
> > least I find it much less worrisome than a major break of XMLNS 1.0
> > compatibility.
>
> On reflection, I'd like to see option A-prime, in which colons are not
> allowed except in the form "xml:something".  This has no namespace
> issues and preserves compatibility with XML 1.0 NS, but allows
> the standard attributes to still work.

 And just to be clear for now we would define no xml:* attributes in the
spec, possibly reconsidering that in the future, and always keeping in mind
the objections raised by Andrew and James?

I think this is a pretty small step above Option A, so it suits me.
Thoughts from others?

> OT: There is a long line of arguent that the best solution to the
> > problem namespaces tackled is some variation on architectural forms.
> > I wonder if we'll envision some MicroAF, maybe based on the Cowan or
> > Tennison proposal,
>
> If it's based on my proposal, it would have to be simplified a lot.

Sure. Topic for later, of course. I might find a spot in the wiki for such
deferred topics.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com