Re: CfC: only allow authenticated origins to call getUserMedia

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com> wrote:
> These are just some arbitrarily selected examples. The point is that short
> term breakage would not be insignificant.

There's ways to mitigate that. E.g. by phasing it out over some period
of time and clearly communicating this to developers.

> While I agree that we should encourage web developers to upgrade to HTTPS,
> singling out WebRTC developers seems like the wrong way to go about this.

1) WebRTC developers are not being singled out. Authenticated origin
is used by service workers, the push API, background synchronization,
persistent notifications, crypto (in Chrome), autofilling of forms,
subresource integrity, and hopefully geolocation. There's probably
some that I'm missing here.

2) You are prioritizing developers over end users. I have a hard time
believing that even though end users gave their consent, they knew
they implicitly gave their consent that every passive/active network
attacker could listen to them and watch them in real time.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/