Re: Screen sharing

On 24/04/2014 3:57 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 24 April 2014 12:15, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>> Something doesn't make sense here. If Alice is really sharing a specific
>> application, no other processes cannot overlap its painting area. On the
>> other hand, if Alice is sharing her entire desktop, I'd expect Bob to see
>> the contents of the IM.
>
> Aside from the double negative here, I think that you are confusing
> two separate things.

Agreed. That was a very confusing typo :)

> In the whole-screen sharing context, yes, everything is seen, warts and all.
>
> In the application sharing context, that application is all that is
> shared.  If something causes that application to be occluded, the
> occluded area needs to be either frozen or greyed.  To show the thing
> that is doing the occluding is an over-share, which violates user
> expectations.  To continue to show the occluded content means that
> there is something that is shared that the user is unaware of,
> violating another expectation.
>
> This is talking about the latter.

Yes, it turns out I was wrong. I thought that on Windows you could use
ALT+PrintScreen to capture a window's surface area even if it was
occluded and the IM wouldn't show up. It doesn't look like that is the case.

It seems kind of odd though. Isn't there a Windows API to capture pixels
directly from a window's surface area (as opposed to the rendered result
on the screen)?

Gili