Re: Proposed new text for noaccess

On 11/05/2013 07:54 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 5 November 2013 08:38, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> In my mind, a 'noaccess' stream and a stream awaiting user-permissions are
>> similar and could work the same:
> I'm thinking now that offering the ability to construct streams and
> tracks attached to any source, without user interaction, is going to
> work.  That would have to cause the tracks to gain the properties of a
> "noaccess" track.  At that point, I agree that the UA can render (or
> not) those streams however it chooses.  gUM is used to elevate access
> to peeridentity or unconstrained.

This is tempting .... just saying that grabbing a stream gives you a
black stream until permission is given. But I think we'd also have to
put some kind of event or callback on the stream so that JS could know
that permission was granted. Showing the user black when the user
expects a face is a bad user experience.

BTW, I'll repeat what I said before in another context: if we change
getUserMedia's behaviour, I'd much prefer to see a new call that is NOT
called getUserMedia, and a short Javascript snippet that shows how to
emulate getUserMedia on top of the new function (which has a new name).

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.