Re: RECAP: Conclusion: Cloning and sharing of MediaStreamTracks - worth it?

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:14:53 -0700
To: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
Cc: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>, Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>, José Luis Millán <jmillan@aliax.net>, "public-media-capture@w3c.org" <public-media-capture@w3c.org>
On 15 August 2013 16:03, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:
> Much better cloning it. Cloning allows each track being controlled
> separately (regardless they both share the same original source).

Unless by cloning it you lose synchronization, or you end up with
simulcast instead of a single stream.  There's no guarantee that a
cloned track is rendered synchronously with other tracks from the same
source - the only guarantee applies to tracks in the same MediaStream.
 That's actually unlikely.

More to the point, by not cloning, I avoid potential issues with
configuration changes causing the source to become overconstrained.
And maybe I want to manage changes globally.