  From: David Singer
  To: Veronique Malaise ; Felix Sasaki
  Cc: Raphaël Troncy ; public-media-annotation@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:44 AM
  Subject: Re: Publishing the Mapping Table (was minutes of 2009-03-10 teleconference)

  At 17:59  +0100 18/03/09, Veronique Malaise wrote:
    Hi Felix, all,

    I think that the first case that David was mentioning is typically answered by a "central authoritative" ontology or equivalence repository: for one query, it gives the possible properties in different vocabularies (XMP, MPEG7 etc); the second case is the skos modeling case *without* a "central authoritative" ontology or equivalence repository, which states that one property in one vocabulary is comparable (in some way) to a property in another vocabulary. But I might have misunderstood teh point...

    Véronique

  Perhaps!  We are both being rather brief, so let me explain more.

  QuickTime can convert files between different formats.  When we do that, there is a question of what we do with the meta-data.  Generally, we don't convert it, because conversion really needs a perfect bi-directional relationship:  if you were to convert and convert back, you'd still get something valid and true.  In many cases, the two tags are not perfect synonyms (for example, the discussion about creation tools and creation agents), and so it's not a reversible (two-way) relationship.

  We *also* have a system (spotlight) of indexing files on Mac OS X.  For this system we want to build a database from the meta-data, that is independent of the file format.  We want to answer questions like "who was the author", "when was it written", "what is the title", and so on.  For this purpose, we only need a one-way mapping, and it doesn't need to be an exact match.  If Spotlight is willing to accept more in (say) a 'created by' field than the file format is able to express, it doesn't matter.

  The second paragraph is dealing with "If X is your question, and Y is your file format, you can get an answer by doing Z".  It is way easier to answer than "If Q is your source format, and R is the meta-data item, and S is your destination format, then you can convert by doing actions T".

  Am I making better sense now?

  If we want to support uniform indexing and display of meta-data in media files, via DOM APis or recommended indexing practices, we probably only need the first of these, for a reasonable and small set of tags.  This is achievable...