Re: Color Test: A formal proposal

From: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 13:04:41 -0700
To: David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>
Cc: Gregg C Vanderheiden <greggvan@umd.edu>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
‚ÄčTreatments never look at the whole population. That is why  parametric
statistics exist. It is impossible to look at every combination of 16Mx16M
colors. We compute sample sizes. My guess is that the number would be quite
small.

My author's test is what one would use prior to a final accessibility
audit.

To be absolutely certain one could proceed as follows:

Determine S = the set of colors used on the page (excluding images)

Select a random colors from the sets I described that are not in S. Then do
the test. Two colors is all we need because there are no accidental
conflicts that could give false positives.

Wayne