Technical challenges (Was Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

On 2014-10-01 22:32, Pablo N. Mendes wrote:

> It may help to preemptively address concerns here. Does anyone have a
> HTML+CSS(+RDFa) template that looks exactly like the LNCS-formatted
> PDFs? Can we show that papers using this template:
> - look consistent with each other (follow the LNCS typesetting instructions)
> - look the same as the PDF counterparts
> - look the same in any reader
> - look the same on screen and printed
> - can be read both online and offline
> - have the same or smaller file size
> - make it easy to share with others (all in one file?)
>
> Can LaTeX to HTML be achieved easily with this template? Or at least is
> it as easy yo write this HTML as it is to write in LaTeX?
>
> I feel like this thread warrants a "manifesto" with a backing github
> repo where everybody interested can chip in.

The core of your concerns were addressed over the past few years in
different ways on this mailing list. When some posed the situation as a
"technological" problem, I've created some templates and LNCS and ACM
styles:

https://github.com/csarven/linked-research

Reached out to OCs, supervisors, and authors. They all have a part in
this. Even wrote "manifestos":

* http://csarven.ca/linked-research

* http://csarven.ca/call-for-linked-research

How about we try to solve a different problem? The one that I've posed:
will SW/LD conferences encourage the community to eat their own dogfood
for "papers"? We can certainly improve on whatever needs to be improved
over time. The problem is that, if SW/LD technologies are not even
welcome to share scientific knowledge at these conferences, it is
irrelevant to worry about the technological comparisons.

We have a Social Problem 101. Period.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i