Re: Formats and icing (Was Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

Greetings.

There exists <http://www.siegfried-handschuh.net/pub/2007/salt_eswc2007.pdf>:

> SALT: Semantically Annotated LATEX Tudor Groza Siegfried Handschuh Hak Lae Kim
>
> Digital Enterprise Research Institute
> IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan
> Galway, Ireland
> {tudor.groza, siegfried.handschuh, haklae.kim}@deri.org
>
> ABSTRACT
>
> Machine-understandable data constitutes the basis for the Seman- tic Desktop. We provide in this paper means to author and annotate Semantic Documents on the Desktop. In our approach, the PDF file format is the basis for semantic documents, which store both a document and the related metadata in a single file. To achieve this we provide a framework, SALT that extends the Latex writ- ing environment and supports the creation of metadata for scien- tific publications. SALT lets the scientific author create metadata while putting together the content of a research paper. We discuss some of the requirements one has to meet when developing such an ontology-based writing environment and we describe a usage scenario.

That describes a very thorough approach to embedding some semantics within LaTeX documents.

Yes, 'thorough'; very thorough; verging on the intimidating.

I dimly recall that there was a rather more lightweight approach which was used for proceedings in ISWC or ESWC -- I remember marking up a LaTeX document in something less comprehensive than SALT -- but I can't remember enough to be able to re-find it.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk