Re: Civic apps and Linked Data

On 6/26/13 6:12 PM, Alvaro Graves wrote:
> Hi Frans,
>
> I think there is a chicken-and-egg problem there. Governments won't
> release Linked Data since they don't see the value of doing so because
> nobody uses it (at least that's what employees from several government
> have told me).
>
> I disagree with Kinsgley in terms that Linked Data is not complicated,
> it is more complex than releasing CSV files.

It doesn't have to be complicated. Of course, most assume it is, and
sometimes for good reason.

My main point is that CSV is a more widely used and familiar interchange
format than any interchange formats associated with RDF, that will be
the case for a very long time.

Now, accepting that CSV is actually the popular format in the Open Data
realm, why not use it as a bridge to Linked Data?

> The evidence for me is the fact that very few governments have
> actually released LOD platforms :-)

Maybe, but CSV to Linked Data is a massive business opportunity for
those with the skills associated with this conversion.

> I think there is an intrinsic value of LOD that can't be obtained by
> releasing 3-star data, however in many of these situations people can
> make short term plans (i.e., release in whatever format you have,
> don't spend too much time on modeling, converting, etc.).
>
> From the point of view of developers, I don't see as many tools to use
> LOD as for using CSV, JSON, etc. I think this is a critical point in
> encouraging the use and publication of LOD.

My fundamental point is this: build bridges. CSV is a great way to
bridge and aid appreciation of Linked Data's virtues. There's also a lot
of low hanging fruit business on that front too  :-)

Kingsley

> Alvaro Graves-Fuenzalida
> Web: http://graves.cl - Twitter: @alvarograves
>

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Frans Knibbe | Geodan
> <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl <mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Alvaro,
>
>     I think a big reason is the lack of data. I believe that if
>     governmental institutions in my country would publish their data
>     as five star data there would be a boom in development of civic
>     apps, and in the publication of other data sets as Linked Data
>     too. As things stand now, the core of national or regional data
>     that is published as Linked Data is so small that it can very
>     easily be ignored. There is no critical mass.
>
>     Regards,
>     Frans
>

>     On 26-6-2013 16:03, Alvaro Graves wrote:
>>     Hello everyone,
>>
>>     A few days ago I attended ABRELATAM'13 an unconference focused on
>>     Open Data in Latin America. I proposed a session about Open Data
>>     + Linked Data to discuss how semantics and LOD in general can
>>     help government and civi organizations. I want to share the main
>>     ideas that emerged from the conversation:
>>
>>     - SW/LOD sounds really cool and the direction where thing should
>>     move.
>>     - However there are many technical aspects that remain unsolved
>>     - Since for many people having a relatively good solution using
>>     CSV, JSON, etc. is easier, they don't want to use SW/LOD because
>>     it is an overkill and too complicated.
>>
>>     So my question is: Why we don't see lots of civic apps using
>>     Linked Data? Where are the SW activists? Why we haven't been able
>>     to demonstrate to the hacker community the benefits of using
>>     semantic technologies? Is it because they are hard to use? They
>>     don't scale well in many cases (as a googled pointed out)? Are we
>>     too busy working in academia/businesses?
>>
>>     I know very few civic apps using semantic technologies and I
>>     don't think I have seen anyone that has made real impact in any
>>     country. I would love if you can prove me wrong and if we can
>>     discuss how can we involve more activists and hackers into the
>>     SW/LOD community.
>>

>>     Alvaro Graves-Fuenzalida
>>     Web: http://graves.cl - Twitter: @alvarograves
>

>     --
>     --------------------------------------
>     *Geodan*
>     President Kennedylaan 1
>     1079 MB Amsterdam (NL)
>
>     T +31 (0)20 - 5711 347 <tel:%2B31%20%280%2920%20-%205711%20347>
>     E frans.knibbe@geodan.nl <mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>
>     www.geodan.nl <http://www.geodan.nl> | disclaimer
>     <http://www.geodan.nl/disclaimer>

Founder & CEO