Re: Civic apps and Linked Data

On 6/26/13 11:02 AM, Sands Alden Fish wrote:
> Alvaro, it's a very good question!
>
> At MIT Libraries, we're currently working on a proof of concept to
> model geotagged accesses to our research and how it connects with the
> parts of the world the research is about (to see if the people who can
> benefit from it are reading it, and hopefully improve that connection).
>
> See here <http://www.sandsfish.com/blog/?p=120> for some of my very
> early attempts at modeling Africa from LOD sources (using GeoNames
> lookup as a start).
>
> And this is a high level summary
> <http://www.sandsfish.com/blog/?p=124> and short interview about our
> goals.
>
> We want to use LOD about the countries in question to pull in more
> context about both the areas that are seeing research as well as
> enriching the metadata around research with the same data.  Of course
> we would like to go further than this and be able to link more and
> more relevant entities to this graph and ideally have an LOD source
> that describes specific issues around the globe.

Remember, you can make much cleaner and purpose specific data in a
spreadsheet that's merged with the LOD cloud via Google's Open Refine.
Of course, you can also do this by hand etc..

This is just another good Linked Data dog-fooding exercise where
existing productivity tools aid the process. It's really quite an easy
and pleasurable exercise :-)

> I would love to hear from anyone who knows of data sets that may help.
>  I am also, like you, curious to hear any other civic use cases for
> the use of this technology.

What do you want to know about Africa? I ask because "I'm currently
embarking on an EDA project to build a graph of currently relevant data
about the African continent, it's countries and cities." doesn't make
the details clear enough etc..

Links:

1.
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1uRVwifs4Roy6rj0OEDAPwpaUVAWMpx2BpCbFfPQ
-- Google Fusion Table (which you import into a Google Spreadshet en
route to Google Refine re. LOD cloud meshing)

2. http://bit.ly/17eOuHi -- PivotViewer report based on DBpedia-Live
(this can evolve inline with additional Linked Data about African
countries etc..).

Kingsley

> - Sands Fish
> - Senior Software Engineer / Data Scientist
> - MIT Libraries
> - sands@mit.edu

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software