Re: Linked Data and the Original Web Proposal

On 6/24/13 5:29 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> Exactly. And for me Linked Data is defined by those set of
> implementation details (HTTP, RDF, URIs and SPARQL).

And that's absolutely fine. Nothing wrong with that. You only hit issues
if you mandate that to someone who seeks to pursue the same goal using a
different approach etc..

The challenge here is that everyone doesn't see things the same way,
initially.

> The only difference between my understanding and yours is that you
> think that you can still produce valid Linked Data even without HTTP
> (using your own URI resolver), whilst I think you can *only* use HTTP
> in order to call it Linked Data.

I am not thinking or speculating. I can produce Linked Data using
alternative URI schemes based on our own handcrafted resolvers. Of
course, custom URI handlers aren't the norm on desktops but that's the
lay of the land in the mobile space i.e., you can register a custom URI
handler with the host OS and it will then delegate handling to your
custom resolver.

> I'm still not sure this is a beneficial message to send to newcomers.

I believe in adjusting to the needs of the audience (newcomer or
advanced users). I don't believe in being draconian pathways to a
destination when choices exist. More than anything else, the new stuff
has to work with what exists i.e., do as much as possible to avert
telling customers to "rip and replace" what they have en route to Linked
Data exploitation.

> The implementation details are at the core of defining Linked Data,
> because they're actually what's making it work.

They ultimately make it work productively, most of the time. There are
times when alternative routes have to be taken to the destination -- due
to the realities of legacy IT infrastructure.

> So essentially we can replace our entire RDF discussions with HTTP,
> and you'd probably have the same feelings, right? That is that you
> HTTP isn't *strictly* part of Linked Data's definition. I would still
> disagree, but I also would understand your point and conclude it with
> a "fair enough".

Yes, I think you are understanding me much better now. I am just about
puzzle pieces and jigsaw puzzles.

My company makes and designs data management & data access middleware
products, which is why (in our eyes) the architecture of the Web remains
the most dexterous piece of middleware we've encountered to date :-)

Kingsley