Re: List membership - more women

I'm also female and fairly new to the list...

I joined the list because I've recently started work on the Linking Web
data for Education (LinkedUp project) [http://linkedup-project.eu] which
aims to encourage use of linked and open data in particular by
educational institutions and organizations.

My background isn't technical but I do have a history of working with
technical people. I suppose my interest lies in moving linked data use
beyond the usual suspects to the wider community. I've really enjoyed
the list discussions I've read so far, but it does sometimes feel a
little like an echo chamber, and there are a lot of assumptions about
'what people out there know/or should know'. For example I really like
Dominic's idea of compiling a list of end user applications & use cases.
These type of lists can be hugely useful for those new to the area of
linked data, and it's actually something we are working on in my project
as part of the LinkedUp Challenge [http://linkedup-challenge.org] - a
competition looking for interesting and innovative tools and
applications that analyse and/or integrate open web data for educational
purposes. Yet Kingsely commented "We don't need a central repository of
anything, assuming we actually know what Linked Data is really about. "
Sometimes it helps to take a step back.

Anyway I'm keen to participate in more conversations in the future and
you sound like a friendly list, so I'm hoping there will be no
judgements on my level of technical knowledge ;-)

After all, the aim is surely to get more people interested in creating
and using linked data, and that sometimes requires opening up to new
people who don't fully know the etymology or meaning of terms.

Marieke

--

Marieke Guy
Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |