Re: The Great Public Linked Data Use Case Register for Non-Technical End User Applications

On 6/23/13 6:28 AM, Dominic Oldman wrote:

> As a result of the other thread about applications (which should
> continue with some more and varied views) I would like to suggest that
> this list starts to compile a list of use cases for linked data. We
> should start to list end user applications from as many different
> domains as possible that could never be implemented without RDF as
> they rely on linked data and semantic harmonisation, and would greatly
> benefit end users.
>
> I am happy to compile the suggestions made.
>
> Dominic
>
> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Dominic,

You pose a nice riddle to those that claim support Linked Data and RDF
but continue to struggle with the dog-food dimension of such claims
i.e., if RDF and Linked Data are so useful, then do showcase how you put
them to use before lecturing or preaching to others etc..

Circa. 2013 we shouldn't still be trying to determine what useful tools
are or struggle to discover them either. We don't need a central
repository of anything, assuming we actually know what Linked Data is
really about.

Anyone that has an application, tool, service, or platform that provides
utility in the Linked Data and/or RDF realms should be able to perform
the following basic acts:

1. denote/name the product, application, service of platform using a
de-referencable URI
2. publish the URI so that when someone (or a user agent) can look-up
the URI
3. when the URI is looked-up you GET back a description of the
application (the URIs referent).

The fact that the above isn't the norm speaks volumes about Linked Data
comprehension and actually utility by those that would like to teach
others about what Linked Data is or is not.

Now, here's how we deal with this matter:

1. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/data/turtle/ -- everything you need to
know about Virtuoso products, releases, and offers
2. http://uda.openlinksw.com/data/turtle/ -- everything you need to know
about our Universal Data Access driver products, releases, and offers
3. http://www.openlinksw.com/data/turtle/ -- additional information
including shared vocabularies that we use to describe our stuff
4. http://www.openlinksw.com/data/turtle/ontology_mappings/ -- ontology
mappings that we leverage in our descriptions, where applicable
5. http://ode.openlinksw.com -- a simple extension and/or service (URL
patterns) for browsing Linked Data
6. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com -- a platform for data integration,
management, and publication
7. http://youid.openlinksw.com -- simple use of Linked Data to enable
users regain control of their privacy by enabling them manage their own
digital identity
8. many more, but 6 items will do for now.

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen