Re: The Great Public Linked Data Use Case Register for Non-Technical End User Applications

Barry

The sort of thing that I might envisage recording on the register is this (if not too onerous). Please suggesta different format if this is too rigid.

User Requirement: A description of the general requirement that would be addressed by an RDF application approach.

Audience: The main user groups for an application.

Particular Benefit of using RDF: Why RDF enhances or makes the initiative possible

Domain: The sector in which the requirement is needed.

Current Status: What progress has been made in addressing the requirement using Linked 'RDF' Data.

Approach and Techniques: What additional elements are needed along with RDF to achieve the requirement.

Related Initiatives: Projects or initiatives that have some relationship to this requirement.

Contacts: People involved in satisfying the requirement

I will start off with one of my own examples.

User Requirement: The ability to harmonise different cultural heritage catalogue (object) records (using a set of agreed generalisations) so that they can searched as a single collection. This can then be used to co-reference terminology, people and places, infer new information and expose potential relationships between different cultural heritage (or other) objects. An application that supported this type of analysis would be of huge benefit to cultural heritage organisations (curators) and humanities researchers (High Eduication) and would challenge exisiting work and conclusions that has relied on traditional manual methods of enquiry. It could also be used for highly innovative general engagement or education applications. It would also support a range of other applications covering a wide range of audience type.

Audience: The interface must be usable for people who are basic computer users but which understand basic cultural heritage terminology.

Particular Benefit of RDF: The particular benefit is that data can be brought together without losing important institutional metadata (squeezing data into a common set of fields)

and the contextual nature of the original source is preserved in the RDF triples. The system makes heavy use of inference and reasoning.

Domain: Cultural Heritage with wider implications.

Currrent Status: A working prototype of the search system has been created and different RDFdatasets are being loaded (see www.researchspace.org). A specification for co-referencing is in draft and due for development during 2013.

Approach and techniques: Context is provided using the CIDOC-CRM ontology. The system uses the OWLIM SE triplestore. Backend uses JAVA and the user interface mainly uses Javascript.

Related Initiatives: Not known

Contacts: Dominic Oldman, British Museum, ResearchSpace (www.ResearchSpace.org).

I should find a place to display the harvested posts...

Dominic