Re: Linked Data discussions require better communication

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 14:09 -0400, Ted Thibodeau Jr wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2013, at 11:45 AM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> • Restate/reflect ideas that in other posts that are
> >>   troubling/puzzling and ask for confirmation or clarification.
> >
> > I am simply confused with the idea brought forward by Kingsley
> > that RDF is *not* part of the definition of Linked Data. The
> > evidence shows the contrary: the top sites that define Linked
> > Data, such as Wikipedia, Linkeddata.org and Tim-BL's meme
> > specifically mention RDF, for example:
>
> Much snipped...
>
> I'm going to quote from one of TimBL's pages, to which Luca and
> Melvin just pointed.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html>
>
> Discussing 5-star Linked Open Data (2010 addition to this
> document created in 2006) --
>
> > ★        Available on the web (whatever format) but with
> >           an open licence, to be Open Data
> > ★★       Available as machine-readable structured data
> >           (e.g. excel instead of image scan of a table)
> > ★★★      as (2) plus non-proprietary format (e.g. CSV
> >            instead of excel)
> > ★★★★    All the above plus, Use open standards from W3C
> >            (RDF and SPARQL) to identify things, so that
> >            people can point at your stuff
> > ★★★★★  All the above, plus: Link your data to other
> >            people’s data to provide context
>

> Now...  RDF doesn't come in until you get a 4-star rating.
>
> Are all you folks who are arguing that Linked Data *mandates*
> RDF suggesting that 1-, 2-, and 3-star rated Linked Open Data
> is *not* Linked Data?

please note that i'm one of those believing that linked data DOES NOT
mandate RDF and this for the following reason.

if A requires A-1 and A-2 and A-3 and B offers A-1 and A-2 and A-3
it is logically incorrect to state that A mandates B,
also if B is the only thing worldwide that can offer A-1 and A-2 and
A-3.
it is save to say that A mandates => something <= that B offers.

inverse : if one says that A mandates B one alters the definition of
what A requires (with the side effect that if B changes (offers A-4 at a
certain point of time), the definition of A is changed not as expected
by changing the definition of A but of B.

for me there a clear distinction between

"Use open standards from W3C (RDF and SPARQL)" and
Use RDF and SPARQL

wkr jürgen

--
| Jürgen Jakobitsch,
| Software Developer
| Semantic Web Company GmbH
| Mariahilfer Straße 70 / Neubaugasse 1, Top 8
| A - 1070 Wien, Austria
| Mob +43 676 62 12 710 | Fax +43.1.402 12 35 - 22

COMPANY INFORMATION
| web       : http://www.semantic-web.at/
| foaf      : http://company.semantic-web.at/person/juergen_jakobitsch
PERSONAL INFORMATION