Re: Proof: Linked Data does not require RDF

On 19 June 2013 14:09, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Firstly, having now read the threads, I thank you all for a lot of very
> interesting and thoughtful words.
> Also, as best I can describe what I think, it seems that David Booth has
> eloquently said much of what I would say.
>
> I'm not sure if there are many people still reading these threads, but,
> just diving in by responding to Norman's message, I think the answer does
> matter somewhat (hence I asked it), although not necessarily because of the
> two strands Norman mentions.
>
> The question I sort of thought I was asking was indeed a social one.
> And very personal.
> I want to discuss stuff about Linked Data (with capitals) in a forum with
> other people who share sufficiently similar views of what Linked Data means
> so that the discussion is productive etc..
> To me, if Linked Data does not (at the moment) assume that RDF is
> involved, whatever that might mean, then the discussion is unlikely to be
> productive, and can actually be quite destructive. This is because of a
> constant widening of issues, rather than focussing on the primary topics.
> The threads (plus personal emails) give me a sense that there is a
> majority who would like to avoid taking the discussions outside the RDF
> world, but that there is a vocal minority who will resist this at all costs.
>
> I actually think that the question we are trying to answer is what is the
> scope of this list.
> In a strong sense, Linked Data is what *we* decide it is; we don't have to
> worry about history, or anything like that (sunk costs), but what we want
> it to be now. That is, for the LOD list - we certainly have no control over
> what others might mean by it, any more than Engineers in the UK have
> control over the fact that the person who fixes the home appliances is
> commonly referred to as an engineer, or Xerox have control over people
> using the term in common speech to mean copy (or Hoover, etc.).
> But we can try to organise our community (exceptionally fragile as it is),
> so that we can have productive discussions around what a core of people
> want to discuss under the term Linked Data.
>
> So what should I do? - Remember, I said this was personal.
>
> Well, if the vocal minority decide that they cannot choose to narrow the
> view they have of Linked Data to exclude the more general stuff, so that
> discussions are focussed around stuff that assumes RDF, then I will
> obviously withdraw.
> That's fine with me, although I think it will be a shame.
> There is another list (Semweb) that will be a better sole home.
> Of course, an alternative would be to have a new list, on W3C or
> elsewhere, such as Google groups.
> This would be for Linked Data discussion, with a current assumption of RDF.
> We could even call it Linked Data, as opposed to Linked Open Data, which
> would actually more accurately describe what gets discussed, in some sense.

This was a brand discussion about LD based on some text in a spec.
Thankfully, that issue is now resolved.

I think it's clear that this list is about Linked Open Data, and everyone
will have a nuanced view on that, based on their own experience and
preference.

If you feel very strongly on this issue (I dont think most do), the W3C has
a good mechanism for any set of topics in the form of community groups, you
just need an audience (at least 5) and a chair.