Re: Proof: Linked Data does not require RDF

On 18 June 2013 13:43, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 6/18/13 1:01 AM, David Booth wrote:
>
>> On 06/18/2013 12:05 AM, ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program wrote:
>>
>>> The debate about whether linked data requires RDF is actually a typical
>>> example of a wrong formulation in the applicable logic formats in
>>> reasoning resulting from the imperfection of natural language.
>>>
>>> The formal definition of the semantic web and its component layers and
>>> constituent  tools like RDF is but one way of linking data.
>>>

>> That completely misses the point of this debate.  The debate is not about
>> whether there are other ways of linking data.  It is about the meaning of
>> the term "Linked Data" **as a term of art**. It is often capitalized as
>> Linked Data to emphasize that it has special meaning (as a term of art)
>> beyond just "data that is linked".
>>
>> David
>>

> That's inaccurate. I use the phrase Linked Data a lot. Yes, I do it with
> special meaning in mind, but that wasn't (or isn't) about RDF. That's all
> about the fundamental principles of web-like structured data representation
> as outlined in TimBL's original meme. I (and others ) do know how to add
> RDF to the mix when communicating this way i.e., RDF based Linked Data.
>
> Now please don't tell me that Linked Data is a W3C "term of art" please
> don't go there.

+1

1. Linked Data MAY be RDF.

NOT

2. Linked Data MUST be RDF.

I think any attempts to rebrand LD as enforcing the latter is likely to be
unsuccessful, and perhaps even an unproductive use of time.

I think most people have a pretty good intuition of the terms, and how to
use them to achieve interop, and get work done.