Re: The need for RDF in Linked Data

On 6/17/13 8:34 AM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> Come on! If you're building something that works like the Web but
> isn't using HTTP, then it's *not* the Web. It's something else that
> has similar dynamics to the Web (like, I dunno, a gazillion of other
> things?).

You see, that's the fundamental misconception. We have "Web" as a
colloquialism for "World Wide Web" and in that loose use the
misconception that "Web" or "World Wide Web" are monikers for a system
that's HTTP specific.

Simple question: why do many browsers handle the following schemes:

1. ftp
2. mailto
3. tel.

Why do mobile user agents implicitly cater for multiple URI schemes
i.e., URI scheme handlers are native to the application development
environment? Custom URI resolvers are natural to the architecture of a Web.

As you can see, there is a common theme here i.e., generic terms such as
Web, Linked Data etc.. are now being shoehorned into very specific boxes
that ultimately contradict the very architecture and philosophy of
what's become the World Wide Web.

HTTP (based on increasing ubiquity) is a cost-effective route to World
Wide Web participation and exploitation. That doesn't mean its the only
option, far from it!

URIs are the kernel. The seed of ingenuity that delivered the World Wide
Web on global scale.

Kingsley