Re: Explain Linked Data to me like I'm 5

On 6/14/13 1:44 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> There's actually no real-world implication of having a single unique
> definition for Linked Data.

I agree. We just need a clear understanding of what Linked Data is about.

> The Web works quite successfully, and still each one of us probably
> holds a different definition of it. For me it's CSS+HTML+HTTP. For
> others it's HTTP+HTML+JavaScript. For others it's probably just HTTP,
> or even something else?
>
> It doesn't matter. The Web works, and having a single unique
> definition of it won't change anything.

For context, I am not expressing the opinion that we need a single
definition per se., I believe we need an understanding that embraces all
of the Web's core attributes. Examples that come to mind include:

1. loose coupling of technology
2. tolerance
3. dexterity
4. organic evolution
5. "just do it!" mindset -- don't ask for permission to contribute to
the innovation continuum.

Demonstrations of Linked Data solving real problems (to me) has always
been the key to ultimately determining how people come to understand
what Linked Data actually is etc..

Sarven's post does hone into an important issue here re., lack of
dog-fooding when it comes to Linked Data and the broader Semantic Web.
If we don't actually use what we propose to others then ultimately our
own lack of conviction will stifle the progress we seek.

Kingsley