Re: RDF's challenge

On 6/11/13 12:05 PM, Martynas Jusevic(ius wrote:

> I disagree completely that RDF is not Web-native. Read-write RDF
> Linked Data is the way the Web was supposed to be, in my opinion.

Solutions are the only way to demonstrate that RDF based Linked Data is
native to the Web. The same approach applies to the fact that the Web
was always designed to be   Read-Write medium.

We will make little progress without demonstrable solutions, let's keep
cranking out those solutions :-)

Imagine Linked Data without DBpedia and the Linked Open Data cloud, all
of Linked Data's potential would be locked in theory-laden permathreads
etc..

Kingsley

> [...]
>             by the average
>
>             Web developer or data wrangler. CSV, by contrast, is. And
>             you are going
>             to need to win the hearts and minds of those folks for
>             whatever approach
>             is proposed/." -- Rufus Pollock (OKFN) [1][2].
>

>             RDF is actually natural.  Unfortunately, narratives around
>             it have now
>             created the illusion that its unnatural. We observe our
>             world using
>             patterns much closer to RDF (entity relationship graphs)
>             than CSV (when
>             used a mechanism for Tabular representation of entity
>             relationships).
>
>             SPARQL enables one to expose RDF based data in a myriad of
>             ways will
>             also enabling easy to comprehend Linked Data utility
>             (i.e., HTTP URI
>             based super keys that specically resolve to documents that
>             describe a
>             URIs referent).
>
>             Following the Open Data meeting I stumbled across a CSV
>             browser [3]
>             developed by @JeniIT . I took a quick look and realized it
>             could provide
>             the foundation addressing some of the confusion around
>             Open Data, RDF,
>             and Linked Data. Thus, I had one of our interns simply
>             tweak the CSV
>             browser such that on receipt of SPARQL-FED protocol URLs
>             that resolve to
>             CSV formatted data you end up with a Linked Data browser.
>
>             The simple example above basically showcases how Linked
>             Data aids data
>             discovery using the Web's basic follow-your-nose
>             exploration pattern by
>             leveraging what CSV has to offer i.e., using a format that
>             many (users
>             and developers) are already familiar with as a bridge
>             builder en route
>             to showcasing the virtues of RDF, SPARQL, and Linked Data.
>
>             Links:
>
>             [1] http://www.w3.org/2013/04/odw/report -- Open Data Report.
>             [2]
>             http://blog.okfn.org/2013/04/24/frictionless-data-making-it-radically-easier-to-get-stuff-done-with-data/
>             .
>             [3] https://github.com/theodi/linked-csv-browser -- CSV Brower
>             [4] https://github.com/theodi/linked-csv-browser/pulls --
>             pull request
>             that sniffs for HTTP URIs and then makes them live links
>             [5] http://bit.ly/18axeTP -- tweaked version of CSV
>             browser showcasing
>             effects of live links based on a SPARQL-FED URL (Ordnance
>             Survey) that
>             returns data in CSV format
>             [6] http://bit.ly/ZxSUnc -- ditto using data form
>             health.data.gov <http://health.data.gov>.
>

>         --
>
>         Phil Archer
>         W3C eGovernment
>
>         http://philarcher.org
>         +44 (0)7887 767755 <tel:%2B44%20%280%297887%20767755>

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen