Re: Restpark - Minimal RESTful API for querying RDF triples

On 16/04/2013 21:42, Jerven Bolleman wrote:
> Hi Aidan,
> On Apr 16, 2013, at 10:27 PM, Aidan Hogan wrote:
>>> The credo that SPARQL does not scale in comparison to restpark does not hold true because restpark cannot answer queries that SPARQL endpoints could.
>>
>> But this is *precisely* the reason why it does hold true! :) SPARQL does not scale in comparison to Restpark because (and only because) SPARQL is a complex language and Restpark is a simple language.
> Then I made a mistake in parsing your scaling semantics ;)

Yes, perhaps we are not on the same page. :)

> Your scaling means "be fast in answering simple queries"

No. My scaling means offer a service compliant with the "standard" that
supports big(ger) inputs.

> My scaling means "be capable in answering complex queries with the advantage that it is also very fast in answering simple queries"

Okay. That's very different from my scaling. :)

I would say OWL 2 RL/QL/EL scales better than OWL 2 DL. I would say
SPARQL scales better than SPARQL 1.1. If I understand correctly, you
would not (since, e.g., SPARQL 1.1 can do SPARQL and more). I think a
common term for your form of "scalability" would rather be "expressivity".

> As SPARQL is as fast as answering simple queries as restpark and can answer more complicated queries as well. SPARQL must scale in more dimensions than restpark.
> Therefore SPARQL scales and restpark does not ;)

"""
An algorithm, design, networking protocol, program, or other system is
said to scale if it is suitably efficient and practical when applied to
large situations (e.g. a large input data set, a large number of outputs
or users, or a large number of participating nodes in the case of a
distributed system). If the design or system fails when a quantity
increases, it does not scale. In practice, if there are a large number
of things n that affect scaling, then n must grow less than n^2. An
example is a search engine, that must scale not only for the number of
users, but for the number of objects it indexes. Scalability refers to
the ability of a site to increase in size as demand warrants.
"""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalability

... works for me and is roughly the original context I interpreted
Kingsley's post.

Cheers,
Aidan