Re: isDefinedBy and isDescribedBy, Tale of two missing predicates

On 11/7/10 7:51 PM, Peter DeVries wrote:
> I was wondering if an example might help me understand this better.
>
> I have currently been linking between entities and the RDF that
> describes them using foaf:topic and foaf:page
>
> If I understand this correctly, I would continue to use foaf:topic to
> point from the RDF page to the entities it describes, but
> use wdrs:describedBy to link from the entity to the RDF that describe it.
>
> For example, for this page
>
> http://ocs.taxonconcept.org/ocs/f522444a-2dd9-400e-be59-47213ef38cb9.rdf
>
> I should replace the entries of:
>
> <foaf:page
> rdf:resource="http://ocs.taxonconcept.org/ocs/f522444a-2dd9-400e-be59-47213ef38cb9.rdf"/>
>
> with
>
> <
> wdrs:describedBy rdf:resource="http://ocs.taxonconcept.org/ocs/f522444a-2dd9-400e-be59-47213ef38cb9.rdf"/>

Yes, also note foaf:topic and foaf:primarytopic also deliver similar
effect. The important thing is that the RDF resource (document) should
contain assertions that associate it with its content (triples).

Since you are familiar with URIBurner and the Virtuoso Sponger, the
effect is: no blank pages as outlined in my response to Hugh Glaser,
when RDF resource URLs are processed.

> Also, is there a reason why there is not inverse predicate like
> "wdrs:describes"?

Hopefully an inverse will emerge as part of the POWDER fix triggered by
this conversation :-)

Kingsley

> Thanks!
>
> - Pete
>
> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/5/10 3:34 AM, Egon Willighagen wrote:
>>     Hi Kingsley,
>>
>>     On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>>>     As a best practice, common use of these predicates would increase
>>>     navigability, link density, and overall cohesiveness of the burgeoning Web
>>>     of Linked Data. It would truly demonstrate practicing what we preach,
>>>     dog-food style!
>>     So you have some examples where these two specifications are used?
>>
>>     Egon
>>
>     Egon,
>
>     Seen this mail kinda late, hence late response. Some examples:
>
>     Links:
>
>     1. http://goo.gl/MG5iS -- shows a descriptor page, <link/>, and
>     "Link" headers putting wdrs:describedBy to use
>     2.
>     http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.org%2Fgoodrelations%2Fv1&p=12002
>     <http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.org%2Fgoodrelations%2Fv1&p=12002>
>     -- rdfs:isDefinedBy and its effects .