Re: What would break, a question for implementors? (was Re: Is 303 really necessary?)

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 11:45:42 +0000
To: Robert Fuller <robert.fuller@deri.org>
CC: Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com>, Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>, Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Robert Fuller wrote:
> However... with regard to publishing ontologies, we could expect
> additional overhead if same content is delivered on retrieving different
> Resources for example http://example.com/schema/latitude and
> http://example.com/schema/longitude . In such a case ETag could be used
> to suggest the contents are identical, but not sure that is a practical
> solution. I expect that without 303 it will be more difficult in
> particular to publish and process ontologies.

Good point which needs discussed more, for instance FOAF returning 200
OK's would be a real PITA and even worse than the 303 pattern, 3**s are
definitely advisable in this case.

ps: introducing some form of ETag equality wouldn't be the best idea, it
may be possible to use Content-Location and ETag together to cache and
save doing the second request after a 303 though.

Best,

Nathan