RE: Sub-properties for locn:geometry?

Hi all,

First - thank for the link Raphael - that did make me smile. The problems mixing work and social circles together ;)

Anyway, here is my concrete example starter:

If you look at the OS linked data for 'Southampton':

http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/id/7000000000037256

you will noticed that it is related to a 'Geometry' via the predicate 'extent' and it also has predicates geo:lat, geo:long and 'easting'/'northing'. geo:lat, geo:long and 'easting'/'northing' provide information about a 'representative point' for Southampton (centroid is a bit overloaded I think). This 'representative point' is just a point guaranteed to lie within Southampton. I think it is useful (in this case) to provide both the 'representative point' and the polygon for area Southampton covers. So something like:

os:7000000000037256
  a locn:Location;
  locn:representativePoint os:1234;
  locn:extent os:2458;
  os:1234 a sf:Point;
  os:2468 a sf:Polygon;

or if you prefer:

os:7000000000037256
  a locn:Location;
  locn:representativePoint os:1234;
  locn:extent os:2458;
  os:1234 a neogeo:Point;
  os:2468 a neogeo:Polygon;

Maybe then (in Manchester OWL syntax(ish)):

 locn:representativePoint rdfs:range (neogeo:Point OR sf:Point or geo:Point)
 locn:extent rdfs:range (neogeo:Polygon or sf:Polygon)

(not saying representativePoint or extent are best choices for predicate names at this stage).

John

Dr John Goodwin
Principal Scientist
Research, Ordnance Survey
Adanac Drive, SOUTHAMPTON, United Kingdom, SO16 0AS
Phone: +44 (0) 23 8005 5761
www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk | john.goodwin@ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email.