Re: CRS specification (was: Re: ISA Core Location Vocabulary)

Hi all,
We had a similar discussion on what is the best way to incorporate
information about the
CRS that is tied with a geometric object when we designed stSPARQL [1] and
we ended
up taking the same decision with the GeoSPARQL WG!

A CRS and a geometry serialization are not two separate things. On the
contrary, the
interpretation of the coordinates of a geometry serialization depends on
the coordinate reference
system that is associated with the geometry serialization. A sequence of
coordinates does
not have any meaning, when not associated with a CRS. For this reason,
recent standards
like GML and GeoSPARQL force the association of a geometric object with a
CRS while
other standards like KML have this information hard-coded (as Clemens also
pointed out!).

(We could have a similar discussion regarding decimal numbers. Should we
represent a decimal
number using a single literal and use two functions to access each part of
the number that is
before and after the decimal mark, or should we use two separate literals?)

For this reason, in GeoSPARQL (similarly to OGC-SFA and SQL MM) you can
find out the
CRS that has been used for encoding the serialization of a geometric object
using the
function geof:getsrid.

If you want to use multiple serializations of a geometry by using various
CRS, you can use
multiple triples. Now, the problem of having multiple CRS is that
tranformations between
compatible CRS always introduces some error. I agree with the approach of
GeoSPARQL,
that essentially adopts that fact that geometries may be implicitly
transformed to a different
CRS at query time. For example, when defining topological functions like

geof:sfOverlaps(geom1: ogc:geomLiteral,geom2: ogc:geomLiteral): xsd:boolean

the standard says "Each function returns an xsd:boolean value of true if
the specified relation
exists between geom1 and geom2 and returns false otherwise. In each case,
the spatial
reference system of geom1 is used for spatial calculations". My opinion is
that this design choice
makes things much easier for a user that do not care about CRS involved in
answering her query
and just want an (possibly imperfect) answer over the complete information
stored in a graph.
This is not restrictive however, since a user that do care about which CRS
are being used when
answering a query, she can add one or more filter expressions to specify
exactly which CRS
should be considered.

What is currently missing from GeoSPARQL regarding CRS (but can be easily
added to a next
version), is a function like the function TRANSFORM defined in SQL-MM 3
(which we also
implemented as the function strdf:transform(geom: ogc:geomLiteral,
targetCRS: anyURI) in our
system Strabon [2]) that can be used at the SELECT part of a SPARQL query
to return to the
user the geometry serialized according to a specific CRS.

Best regards (and a happy new year!),
Kostis

[1] http://www.strabon.di.uoa.gr/stSPARQL
[2] http://www.strabon.di.uoa.gr