Re: CRS specification (was: Re: ISA Core Location Vocabulary)

Hello Clemens, All,

First I would like to wish everyone a healthy and fruitful new year!

Secondly, thanks to Clemens for stating his doubts about a separate CRS
property. All change proposals should be well thought over.

In a previous message I tried to explain what I think are good reasons
to keep it separate. Of course, whether the CRS is an intrinsic part of
a geometry all depends the exact definition of what a geometry is. I
don't know where the official OGC specification can be found, but if
someone can provide a pointer that would be nice. The definition in the
LOCN vocabulary seems to be quite open.

I think a reasonable definition would be that a geometry defines a shape
of a geographic object by means of a series of coordinates. A single
geographic object can have multiple geometries, each a different
approximation of the true shape of the geographic object. The series of
coordinates naturally depends on the CRS. But if you look more closely,
there is a lot more that can be stated about the geometry. For example,
and I think that is an important one too, there is the level of detail
(LOD), which could perhaps be defined as a resolution in meters. And
there are other things too. Let's have an example in turtle:

ex1:myGeometry
     a ex2:geometry ;
     ex2:asWKT "POLYGON((97372 487152,97372 580407,149636 580407,149636
487152,97372 487152))"^^ex2:wktLiteral ;
     ex2:CRS <http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/28992> ;
     ex2:CRS <http://www.other.org/srs/12345> ;
     ex2:levelOfDetail "10.5"^^xsd:decimal ;
     ex2:horizontalAccuracy "1.2"^^xsd:decimal ;
     ex2:verticalAccuracy "0.8"^^xsd:decimal ;
  .

I have added some data that helps to put the string of coordinates in
perspective. Maybe others would like to add still more, like the
generalisation method used, if any. Or whether the geometry was measured
in the field or computed. Now imagine us having to put all these data in
a single literal, and make sense of it...

By the way, looking at this example I am getting the notion that keeping
the specification of the geometry type ("POLYGON" in this case) separate
too might be a good idea :-)

Regards,
Frans

--