Re: Branding?

From: Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:44:15 -0400
Cc: Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>

On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:08 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:

> JSON-SD doesn't really roll off of the tongue... neither did JSON-LD or RDFa. HTML is only used because it's been around forever... but it's a pretty crappy brand name. Any thoughts on what this technology should be called as we ready it for public consumption?
>
> I was thinking: Structure
>
> "Structure allows you to express Linked Data in JSON"
>
> Yes, I realize that isn't entirely accurate, but tag-lines rarely are accurate. Thoughts on branding the technology so that it's easy to drop into a conversation without scaring Web developers away or making people feel as if the conversation is going to take a scary turn toward geek-speak?

In today's call, we rehashed some things we've been talking about
on the list, and (I think) came to some clearer distinctions, corresponding with this diagram --

* JSON == well, JSON.  Like you're accustomed to.

* JSON-CD or Contextualized JSON == my new label for what has been
  being called JSON-SD, because this is (as I now understand it)
  just JSON-plus-@context.  JSON data is inherently structured...
  so I don't think JSON-SD (structured data with structure!) is
  the best label going forward.

* JSON-LD == fully-formed and compliant Linked Data, with IRIs in
  all Subject and Property slots, serialized as JSON.

JSON-CD may include Bnodes or literals in Subject or Property slots.

JSON-CD may be transformed into JSON-LD by skolemization or other
methods of changing literals to URIs.

JSON-LD may be extracted from JSON-CD by dropping any statement
using a Bnode or literal for its Subject or Property.

If nothing else, the above should give us firmer footing for
further discussion.

Be seeing you,

Ted