Re: To spec editors - regarding possibly redundant rdf:type definition of containers in examples

Nice bait Arnaud ... pass.

I don't personally care if LDP chooses to relax the inferencing rule to
the degree that (strawman!) non-leaf types defined by LDP or LDP's
normative references can be inferred.

We just need to all be clear on and comfortable with the effects:

1:   The harder the rules are to describe, the more arbitrary it looks and
the more complex/error-prone/comment-generating it is.  As in an outsider
lamenting: what makes LDP's types so special?  Aside from "it's our spec,
nyeh" what's our answer?  I had to insert 'non-leaf' to keep ldp:Basic...
et al. in the representations, so it's already "not what my mother would
expect" as one of our execs likes to say.

2:   "A hairbreadth's difference...."    We'd need consensus on the exact
scope.  We know how much fun getting there is.  I'm not sure that "types"
is the right scope; if you squint, you'll see that we have either skirted
the edge of the non-inferencing rule in other places or outright violated
it.  I'm thinking of cases where the goal and proposal was explicit ("keep
the simple case simple"), so you get BC's that Must behave like they have
insertedContentRelation=MemberSubject, but LDP imposes no requirement to
materialize that triple.

3:  It's not about what is stored (which technically we should not care
about, BTW), it's about what is transferred (representations) and how
"classes"/"sets" of those are described (query).  E.g., if we allow
ldp:Container (et al.) to not be materialized in representations, can
clients usefully query for it?  If the query results are going to vary by
implementation, because some impls "logically add" ldp:Container to graphs
"but don't store it" and others do neither, debatable if that's "useful";
it's certainly not widely interoperable.

One way to think about removing the "extras" is as an optimization.  The
first version need not be fully optimized ... if that's not true, let's go
back to the I-word.

Best Regards, John

Voice US 845-435-9470  BluePages
Tivoli OSLC Lead - Show me the Scenario