Re: Issue-71: the first bug tracking example

Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org> wrote on 05/29/2013 06:18:11 AM:

> > If we don't have membershipPredicate in LDP 1.0 there is no way we can
> > add it later without breaking backwards compability. A server would
have
> > to keep using rdf:member or break clients that expect it.
>
> I don't understand why adding it later would break anything. It would be

> a plain conservative extension, with backward compatibility.

If a client expects to be able to find the member resources of a container
by looking for the predicate rdf:member there is no way we can change that
later without breaking that client, is there?
We can't just later decide that servers may choose to use a different
predicate and simply specify it with ldp:membershipPredicate. A client
that is implemented against LDP 1.0 would look for rdf:member and wrongly
conclude that the container has no members.

> I still think it's easier and better to drop it for now. Postponing to
> the next version is _also_ an acceptable and valid compromise.

It is easier, I'll give you that but I don't see how adding it later would
be possible without breaking 1.0 clients.