Re: ldp-ISSUE-72 (membershipObject): The object of a membership triple isn't always the address of the created informational resource [Linked Data Platform core]

On 22 May 2013, at 15:43, Roger Menday <roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:

>> Hi Roger,
>> could you please post an example that illustrates what the problem is? I have to admit not to understand.
>
> There is lots of coverage around this in many of Henry's recent emails ... :)
>
> Anyway, I'll have a go at providing an example showing the problem. Picking up on the cat use-case that Henry introduced a few weeks ago:
>
> There is an LDPR </people/roger>, this has a LDPC which is used to manage my pets.
>
> Let's say this LDPC has a membershipSubject of </people/roger> and membershipPredicate of pets:has_pet. If I POST the following to the LDPC:
>
> <> a animal:Cat;
>     foaf:name "Zaza".
>
> ... a new resource is created.
> And there is a new membership triple of
>
> </people/roger> pets:has_pet </people/roger/zaza>
>
> If one wants to keep the two resources separated, I might POST the following
>
> <> foaf:primaryTopic <#this> .
> <#this> a animal:Cat;
>      foaf:name "Zaza".
>
> However, the new membership triple in this case is not quite right. It still is :
>
> </people/roger> pets:has_pet </people/roger/zaza>
>
> ... but it should really be :
>
> </people/roger> pets:has_pet </people/roger/zaza#this>
>
> That's the problem.

Ok so presumably the problem here is that </people/roger> is a document too
so that you want the relation not to be on </people/roger> but on </people/roger#i>
right. And that is what the ldp:membershipSubject would be for....

So we would then have

<> a ldp:Container;
     ldp:membershipSubject <#i>;
     ldp:membershipOject ??? ;
     ldp:membershipPredicate pets:has_pet .

<#i> pets:has_pet <zaza#it>, <zara#it> .

so clearly here pets:has_pet has nothing to do with rdf:contains anymore.

Which proves my point that this membershipXXX is orthogonal to rdf:member-ships.
Hence we should seperate these two issues completely, and state that every
POST to a LDPC adds a new rdf:member.

The membershipXXX relations can be in addition to that. They are orthogonal.