Re: ISSUE-58: the simple solution to inlined membership - ISSUE-45

Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote on 05/19/2013 12:49:06 PM:

> The point is that inlining other resources is merging information
> from different graphs. That requires either
>
>  1. the server to know that the graphs that are members are all
consistent
>  2. the client to know that when it POSTs something it is POSTing
> something that is compatible with the content
>    of all the members
>  3. the inlined content to be carefully quoted
>
> Neither of 1 or 2 those is something that can be done easily without
> creating problems. Mechanically it can be
> done easily but you'll very quickly end up with inconsistent graphs.
> It is not easy for either the server to do
> it correctly or the  client to do it correctly. Especially as the
> client will have difficulty having a full overview
> of the all the members.

As it has been pointed out before inlining is optional and servers that
don't know how to do it just shouldn't.
I can see how this might be challenging in a vanilla implementation where
the server merely stores triples blindly to regurgitate later but in the
case of an application specific server it is not.

Take for instance the case of a bug tracker in which I have a container
listing all the bugs related to a given project. Inlining can be done
without problems. If it can't then the server has a serious bug somewhere.