service documents

hello ashok.

On 2013-01-29 2:21 , "Ashok Malhotra" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
>4. Does each LDP model have/need a service document?
>The question is whether we need a starting point to start navigation and
>create collections etc.  There has been some mail on this.  I'm not sure
>where
>the WG stands on this but I don't think this is a crucial question for
>the model.
>I'm happy to withdraw it.

i may be wrong, but it seemed to me that mostly, people seemed to dislike
the term "service document" (which i think i introduced at some point
because this is the term AtomPub uses). we could also call it a "home
document". or a "home resource". but from the REST point of view, it's
impossible not to have such a thing: there must be some starting point
that is a useful collection of links for clients to start their work, so
that for example you would take a client driven by our test cases, point
it to that "home resource", and then it would happily run its tests from
there, because all essential functions of LDP are exposed as affordances
within that resource.