Re: DMA amendments

On 1/7/22 4:45 PM, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>> Il 06/01/2022 18:23 Sebastian Lasse <mail@sebastianlasse.de> ha scritto:
>>

>> So, this was something I also tried to understand: The differentiation
>> between “core” and “auxiliary”-service …
> This is regulation, so the words mean what the law says they mean,
> rather than what they mean in common language. Here, the definitions are
> in Article 2, plus some others that are taken from other sources (e.g.
> the Electronic Communications Code 2018/1972 for "number-independent
> interpersonal communication service").
>
> In the end, "core platform services" are the (exhaustive - expanding it
> will require another law) list of services that are regulated by the DMA
> and that generally constitute the main service of a platform product
> (e.g. video sharing for Youtube, search for Google, social media for
> Facebook...)

So that means advertising is one such service for Facebook or Google. Or
is it for Meta and Alphabet? With all the corporate juggling, are they
not working around what their 'core services' are? If 'advertising',
despite providing the main revenue, is in fact the 'core service' of
another company, how would this affect interoperability for the 'main'
(public) service of 'social media' or 'search'?

Is this something we should be aware of, wary of, or otherwise worried
about when devising any recommendations related to interoperability?

==
hk