Re: First Meeting: 15 December 20:00 UTC

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 8:10 PM Jon Callas <jon@eff.org> wrote:

> > On Dec 9, 2021, at 15:41, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hellekin and rhiaro arranged for a WebRTC-based server - thanks. For
> next week's meeting, please use this URL with a WebRTC-capable browser:
> >  https://bbb.w3c.social/b/mar-6cu-9ks-vya
> >
> > If you have trouble using it, please send an e-mail to the list.

+1 Thanks for setting that up for us! I'm not sure I've used a
BigBlueButton server for one of these meetings before but look forward to
trying it out.

> For the future, Jitsi is a system that meets the requirements previously
> stated, as well, and they do good work. We used it a lot when I was at
> ACLU, and some of the EFF teams still use it.

+1 for Jitsi; I think it meets the suggested requirements and I've often
used it for meetings.

Also, as raised earlier in the thread, I have had success using Matrix for
group chat, with the added bonus of having 'bridges' in order to
interoperate with other services (where someone has an existing setup, a
legacy system, or a preferred tool or interface).

I'm also happy and willing to meet over a Zoom call or some other
proprietary service -- even if there is a shared long-term goal to try to
make more of these technologies standards-based. I don't think it's a
distraction to try out the kind of tools we want to support, but I also
don't think testing those tools is the primary work of the group.

Cheers,
Nick