Re: [User Context] general, auditory, and screen reader keys added

James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> The value of the "subtitle" key lists the following text:
>
> Web authors using a native video player SHOULD allow subtitles to be
> displayed natively. Web authors using a custom caption display SHOULD
> display captions based on this setting.

That's a useful clarification. It still leaves the question of use cases for a
"custom caption display", especially if every UA that implements User Contexts
already implements at least one timed text format. It's also noteworthy that
if the user specifies no preference, either because User Contexts is not
supported or it is disallowed on privacy grounds, the Web application will
still have to offer timed text in order to be WCAG 2.0-conformant.

Thus what we have is: timed text by default, custom captions via User Contexts
otherwise, and what we need are the use cases which justify implementing the
latter under circumstances in which, in order to be accessible, the Web
application developers have to support the former anyway. The argument could
be, for example, that introducing the captions server-side allows for better
captioning than timed text, but obviously there would be a ned for compelling
scenarios.