Re: Web Cryptography Working Group scoping progressing...

Channy
---------------------
Tech Evangelist : Web 2.0, Web Standards, Open Source and Firefox
http://channy.creation.net

2011/11/11 Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>

> **
> On 11/07/2011 11:24 AM, Channy Yun wrote:
>
> Hi, all.
>
> I know your first job is the primitive APIs for cryptography.
>
> But, many of use-cases in Cryptography API focused in CA service system
> with personal certificates.
> But, this is hard to consider another working group because of PKI based
> systems.
> (Most of countries has own national CA system based on plug-in issuing
> personal certificate such as China, Japan, Spain and Brazil etc.)
>
> How about adding parallel works for *Web Certificates (Service) API*supporting these one?
> We can add these as a scope including TLS/SSL based login/out with
> personal certificate and its management api(backup, restore)
> and follow up HSM based certificate.
>

> Is there any sample API that fulfills what you want, ideally one already
> being worked in web browsers?

I guess you saw my draft APIs for Web CA services:
http://html5.creation.net/webcrypto-api/
There have been many real world plugins in Korea, China, Spain, Denmark and
Brazil and etc...
Also some of them are duplicated with DOMCrypt API.

> I'm ok with that being "maybe" in scope but to do not want another API and
> would prefer to keep the scope minimal, i.e. for this WG to stay away from
> certificates per se (minus keeping functionality such as the aforementioned
> log out work that we might otherwise accidently deprecate).
>
> However, not all news is bad - I'm currently pushing for a workshop around
> the issues of Web Certificates in the spring of next year (which could lead
> to another WG focussing on the thorny issues of CAs) and we can put that in
> the "roadmap" for future work.

I'm okay if you're interested in gather stock holders for Web Certificate
Service as a working group. But, I'm sure that most of use cases of Web
Crypto API will be CA's service and the seperation of interests is not
good.

Channy