RE: New Thread - FVS Assignment MisMatch

Jirimutu,

Sorry, I have been out of contact for several days.

Let's first deal just with the issue of specification of the FVS set.

What we want is full and clear specification, but we cannot have over-specification on the other hand either.

Yes, we need to make clear every standard assignment of FVS1, FVS2, FVS3 to the full code range U+1800 - U+18AA.
But we cannot and should not specify the sequences that are not specified.
Maybe I am mis-understanding your statement, but we cannot do this. It is overkill.
Please correct me if I do not understand.

Let's distinguish between specification lists and testing lists.
Testing lists can be exhaustive and can also be informative in that they might show forms that our fonts are actually rendering at positions we were unaware of - thereby providing us diagnostic information to fix errors. I am all in favor of this.
Specification lists should be non-ambiguous, trim, tight  and complete. Specification lists should not be expected to contain items not specified.

If we take one example from the font comparator site (http://r12a.github.io/scripts/mongolian/variants ) and look at U+1820.
We see that Isolate+FVS1 is specified.
Isolate+FVS2 AND Isolate+FVS3 are not specified as they are "don't care conditions".
These two sequences are left to the judgment of the font designer to handle.
However, I am in general agreement with you that the common font implementation will render the Isolate+FVS2 as the Isolate_with_no_FVS_following. The common font implementation will render the Isolate+FVS3 as the Isolate_with_no_FVS_following. But this is just because there is no OT ruling to substitute something for the default Isolate form.

Could you help me understand Point #6 a bit better.

Thanks,
Greg