RE: New Thread - FVS Assignment MisMatch

Hi Greg,

> But we cannot and should not specify the sequences that are not specified.

> Maybe I am mis-understanding your statement, but we cannot do this. It is
overkill.

> Please correct me if I do not understand.

It seems the word "sequences" making misunderstanding, it not means the
sorting sequences.

What I am talking here is the Form Selection Sequence of the each Mongolian
character.

Default form is first, FVS1 is the second, FVS2 is the third, FVS3 is the
fourth.

Our purpose is to define full and clear specification for Default, FVS1
form, FVS2, FVS3 forms of each character in Isolate, Initial, Medial, Final
word position.

What I mean here is, we should select the regular form studied in primary
school text book as the Default form,

The other regular form in the primary text book comes to next and  we select
them as the FVS1 form.

The other irregular form or abnormal form come to Next or Last, select them
in the lowest priority Variant Selector like as FVS2 or FVS3.

> Let's distinguish between specification lists and testing lists.

> Testing lists can be exhaustive and can also be informative in that they
might show forms

> that our fonts are actually rendering at positions we were unaware of -
thereby providing us diagnostic information to fix errors. I am all in favor
of this.

> Specification lists should be non-ambiguous, trim, tight  and complete.
Specification lists should not be expected to contain items not specified.

I agree this.

(http://r12a.github.io/scripts/mongolian/variants ) and look at U+1820.

> We see that Isolate+FVS1 is specified.

> Isolate+FVS2 AND Isolate+FVS3 are not specified as they are "don't care
conditions".

> These two sequences are left to the judgment of the font designer to
handle.

> However, I am in general agreement with you that the common font
implementation will render

> the Isolate+FVS2 as the Isolate_with_no_FVS_following.

> The common font implementation will render the Isolate+FVS3 as the
Isolate_with_no_FVS_following.

> But this is just because there is no OT ruling to substitute something for
the default Isolate form.

I have commented for it in another mail like this.

I agree Richard's point of view on this.

"don't care conditions" should means same with original.

If we left the Isolate+FVS2 AND, Isolate+FVS3 of U1820 to font designer to
decide the usage, There will be other new unstable elements appears in the
future.

>Could you help me understand Point #6 a bit better.

This is for printing the FVS1, FVS2, FVS3, MVS mark which is printed in
U1800.pdf Unicode Mongolian Chart in the Mongolian Text.

That is the dotted line bordered rectangle mark which include the code name
in the rectangle.

Sometimes we need to describe  how to use these symbols to users in
Mongolian text context.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Jirimutu

Almas Inc.

101-0021 601 Nitto-Bldg, 6-15-11, Soto-Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo

E-Mail:  <mailto:jrmt@almas.co.jp> jrmt@almas.co.jp   Mobile : 090-6174-6115

Phone : 03-5688-2081,   Fax : 03-5688-2082

 <http://www.almas.co.jp/> http://www.almas.co.jp/
<http://www.compiere-japan.com/> http://www.compiere-japan.com/