(wrong string) め組)とkernの関係

It occurs to me we are also taking about two things. I am taking about requirements for apps to support the fonts correctly. The spec is about the fonts only, and for a font it is perfectly fine not to include palt if they do not want to. But if you are an app you must turn palt on or you turn kern on. The font spec isn’t going to tell you that necessarily, since it is taking about correct font implementation and the limitations of the format force any Japanese font that kerns Japanese characters to use palt plus kern to do it. The problem is apps are not aware of this and read the font spec expecting app implementation advice and apparently it isn’t clear. Apps must turn palt on together with kern. If the font lacks palt it’s a no-op.

—Nat
________________________________
From: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2022 7:34:15 AM
To: Nat McCully <nmccully@adobe.com>
Cc: Taro Yamamoto <tyamamot@adobe.com>; 敏 小林 <binn@k.email.ne.jp>; Koji Ishii <kojii@chromium.org>; 泰夫 木田 <kida@mac.com>; public-i18n-japanese <public-i18n-japanese@w3.org>
Subject: Re: CJKフォントのpalt(詰め組)とkernの関係

EXTERNAL: Use caution when clicking on links or opening attachments.

Nat,

I am saying that OFF fails to clearly state
conformance requirements.  Meanwhile, you
are talking about the background or rationales
behind conformance requirements.

Our concerns are orthogonal, as I see it.
I personally do not care about the rationales
behind conformance requirements.
Your remarks are certainly useful and should
probably be added as a note in OFF.

Regards,
Makoto