Re: UTCへのレターの本体

Hello Everybody,

On 2021-08-22 08:30, 木田泰夫 wrote:
> Hi Nat,
>
> Thank you.
>
>> If they could be deemed compatible after adding these 4 characters’ AJ1 postures to UAX50, then this would be fairly easy, but there is another issue: What to do about the different engine logic governing the many U+2xxx and Cyrillic and Greek ranges that originated from SJIS, and their being R in UAX50 and U in AJ1 or SJIS-born fonts.
>
> Here’s what I think.

> Other digital text
> For other fields, I honestly do not know how important to maintain the SJIS style, esp. fullwidth treatments for Greek/Cyrillic and math operators, with exception of the first few small letters of Greek characters. Many math operators are new on JIS X 0213 and I have never seen them appearing in Japanese text regardless of the text orientation. Does anyone have knowledge or statistical data on the usage of these characters in Japanese text context?

I'm not a typography expert, so this is just my personal opinion.

Established tradition apart, I think using fullwidth characters for
Greek/Cyrillic single characters may be perfectly okay, but for full
words and longer text segments, it is really a bad idea, it really looks
bad and isn't readable.

I remember when Wikipedia would do that (e.g. in pages such as
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ペロポネソス半). Fortunately, I haven't
seen it in Wikipedia for a long time. I'm not sure this is because I
have switched browsers, because browsers got more sophisticated, or
because Wikipedia got more sophisticated, or a bit of each. But it's
definitely a big improvement.

Essentially, from a writer/reader perspective, the fullwidth/halfwidth
distinction for Greek and Cyrillic should be about the same as for
Latin. The only difference is that for (basic!) Latin, this can be done
with codepoints, but for Greek and Cyrillic, context or a higher level
protocol have to be used.

Regards,   Martin.

(日本語の要約: ギリシャ文字とキリル文字でもラテン文字と同じように、単語
の場合半角にしないと非常に読みにくい。)