Re: Readiness definition

comments inline:

On 27/08/2013 11:27, Pablo Nieto Caride wrote:

> Hi Dave and other potential implementers of Readiness,
>
> Attached is the latest document with info related to the Readiness
> definition and implementation that I possess, I don't know whether
> there is something more recent or not, if so, please send it to me or
> point where it can be found.

thanks pablo for advancing this topic, I'll take a look.

> I am writing because our client is interested in using this extension
> to mark content that must be post-edited after the machine
> translation, the problem we encountered is that the process of
> post-edition depends on the target language, that is, if the quality
> of the machine translation in the target language is high maybe the
> process of post-edition is not needed. I thought of including a new
> optional attribute, /targetLanguage/, that can contain a comma
> separated list of values based on
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt, if it is absent that
> means that applies to all target languages. Any thoughts on this?

I'll think about that. initially I'd say that the readiness approach was
defined as being generic to process beyond just translation, e.g. for
source QA or text analysis, so this should at the very least be optional.

When we discussed this originally, i think the concensus was that this
sort of information was better in a project descriptor of some kind -
perhaps taken from LinPort. It could be added as additional meta-data,
but from a linport related namespace, or via a pointer to a separate
project description. The core readiness should be restricted to
information about the fact that the annotated content is ready for some
processing and for what exactly - otherwise you could apply the same
argument to many other types of meta-data.

> And one last thing, I don't quite see how the parameter /"revised"/
> works, I mean, how can you differentiate one version from another,
> anyone can give an example? Do you think it is useful?

the intention of this was to cover the situation where the annotated
content is revised after the initial readiness meta-data was added but
probably before the required processing has been completed. This
provides a way of alerting the process that is consuming the content to
this change, and take action if necessary, e.g. re-fetch the revised
content and retranslate the changed content. It was intended to avoid
the need for a full version control system and to support the fact that
content is becoming increasingly dynamic - especially if extracting from
a live web CMS.

cheers,
Dave