Letter spacing in Indic scripts

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:55:48 +0000
To: public-i18n-indic@w3.org
Dear Indic layout taskforce,

CSS3 Text defines a letter-spacing property at
http://www.w3.org/TR/css-text-3/#letter-spacing-property

I have two questions on behalf of the i18n WG:

[1] do indic scripts do letter-spacing?

[2] if they do, what happens for scripts with a bar, such as Devanagari?
Is the bar continuous or broken?

I suppose another question would be whether there are any other
idiosynchrasies involved for indic scripts, such as unequal spacing, etc.

The CSS3 Text spec is at the end of the Last Call period, so the spec
authors would appreciate a quick response on this.

Thanks,
Richard